Thursday, September 17, 2015

Evaluating my Monologue

I feel confident that I had both strengths and weaknesses in my "Who am I" monologue. I think that one strength was my facial expressions. I feel like I had a lot of good facial expressions that were appropriate for the monologue. I also feel like I did well on my hand motions. At first I was very nervous about my hand motions and was afraid to be too fidgety or too still. When I fully memorized my monologue and used my facial expressions, the hand and arm motions came naturally to me. I also feel that one of my strengths was my articulation. In my posted video, I was articulate and I had pretty good pacing. I felt like it all flowed really well. I could also easily understand what I was saying. I think that one of my most important strengths was that I was really into my monologue because it was very true to myself. I also had a couple weaknesses, however. I definitely feel I could've cut out a couple sentences or two that were unnecessary details. One example is "we don't go there often, but it's always a treat when we do (about the Cheesecake Factory). I also feel that one of my weaknesses was not having a consistent tempo while speaking. I feel like at some points I went fast and then went slow soon after. I feel like I have learned a lot from performing my first monologue. In my next monologue, I know that I will be much more comfortable presenting my monologue in the first place. I also feel like that I will be able to memorize my monologue and act it out much more easily. One of my biggest struggles was learning to balance the memorization aspect with the performing aspect of the monologue. During my monologue takes, I would either have great facial expressions and hand movement but forget my lines or I would memorize my monologue but not have good hand movement and facial expressions. I think that now I know how to balance these aspects to perform a good monologue. From watching my peers, I learned a lot of things. Every one of them did an amazing job in the end. But I could also relate to their process of the end result. I loved learning about each person's story. Some were funny and some were serious, but they were all very well delivered and very interesting. I think that giving feedback to each other was very important because we helped them improve their monologues and we learned how to improve our own. I think we all learned from each other's mistakes by watching everyone perform their monologue multiple times in front of the class. Receiving feedback was very helpful for me. A lot of people recommended that I should do more actions with my body instead of staying in place. Once I started doing that, I feel like it made my monologue a lot better. I was also happy to hear the positive feedback, like how they enjoyed my monologue and that I had great facial expressions. In all, this monologue has made me much less nervous to give a "speech", and to use my acting skills in my monologue.


No comments:

Post a Comment