Wednesday, September 9, 2015

About Myself Monologue


Hi. I'm Dayna Freeman, and I am 13 years old. Yes, I am thirteen years old and a freshman. Explanation? Well, I didn't skip a grade- technically. My birthday is September 30th which is an odd time of the year to be born. It's about a month into the school year, which is precisely why my age can be so confusing to others. A week before Kindergarten started, my parents were really concerned about me being the only four year old in the class. The teacher, Mrs. Silver (who is the nicest person I've ever met) recommended that I was smart enough to go straight to Kindergarten. Well, thank God I did, because I would be incredibly bored and frustrated as an 8th grader. Unfortunately, being a year younger than everyone else always causes problems for me.  New people I meet are almost always shocked when I tell them my age. Throughout my life I've been pretty tall for a girl up until about a year ago since I've stopped growing and I'm staying an average 5'6". It's not that I want to give the appearance of being older than I am, but it is almost like people are disappointed when they find out I'm younger then them. It can be incredibly frustrating, especially because most of the time the person is only a year older than me. As a little kid I would hate when kids a year or two older than me would talk in a baby voice to me. Well, that doesn't happen any more, but my age does cause other problems. For example, last week I was signing up for my dance classes this year. I decided to take only tap and jazz because I really wanted to focus on school and afternoon activities. The studio had implemented a new system where you typed in your age and it would sign you up for the appropriate class. Of course, I got selected into Junior jazz and Junior tap. I had no idea what time my actual classes of senior tap and senior jazz would be until just a couple days ago. It's incredibly frustrating, especially because it happens every single year with dance. But, my age doesn't bring me down. When my birthday comes along my parents and I make a huge deal of it- I get what we call a "birthday week", where everyone has to be an angel to me and I can pick a restaurant I want to go to. I usually choose the Cheesecake Factory, which is my favorite restaurant. We don't go there often, so it's always a treat when we do. My birthday isn't a bad time of year either - the beginning of fall where it is still warm but the leaves change colors is my favorite time of year. I know that when I'm in college, being a year younger won't be such a bad thing either.

No comments:

Post a Comment